Foods And Habits That Boost The Immune System, Part-1
Welcome back to our site for Food Fitness F.. and F…!
This is Part-1 of several series.
Looking at both global and regional statistics, we see that those who did not recover from CoViD19 are those with weakened immune system – the immunocompromised, those with co-morbidity, the elderly, those exposed to health hazards, and the like.
We are also taught that viral diseases, such as the corona virus, cannot be treated with pharmaceutical drugs. We only treat the symptoms – e.g. fever, headache, runny nose, etc., and the complications which have affected certain bodily organs – e.g. heart, liver, kidneys, lungs, etc.
Those who self-medicate with antibiotics for non-complicated viral infections are harming themselves more than curing, as unnecessary use of antibiotics may render our bodies to be resistant to these drugs.
These facts tell us that the best way to fight diseases and infections is to boost our immune system.
As the word ‘system’ means, the human immune system is a composition of organs, cells, tissues, and mucus that network together to fight against germs. The main parts of this system include the antibodies, the bone marrow, the white blood cells, the spleen, the thymus, and the supporting body systems.
We consider the immune system as the Armed Forces Department of the human body. We therefore liken our bodies to a nation. When a nation has weak Armed Forces, it can be easily invaded and attacked by foreign forces with evil intents.
Even before this happens, national leaders reinforce and strengthen their Armed Forces by increasing their number, improving their standard of living, subjecting them to rigid training, providing them with complete armor and ammunitions, and many other strategies. Each strategy has rationale. So it is with us. We must imitate these strategies applied to a nation.
What must we do then?
– REINFORCE the armies – reinforce the immune system
I am sharing with you practical ways to reinforce or boost our immune system. But do not be in a hurry. We need to understand some other things first.
WE ALL ARE UNIQUE
…food and exercise function differently to our unique form
There are countless tips and recommendations on how to boost our immune system, but each tip or recommendation, whether on food, on exercises, or on habits, does not have the same effect to everybody.
Why is that?
It is because each person is unique. Because of this, we each are affected in many different ways, by the food we eat, the activities we do and where or how we do them.
Even identical twins have their individual differences in food preferences, habits, likes and dislikes.
What is effective to me may not be effective to you.
What has this to do with our aim to boost our immune system? Let us see….
…how much and how fast nutrients take effect depends on the type of activities we do and the uniqueness of each individual
Food nutrients are very vital to consider when we talk about boosting our immune system. It is very important to look into the following points:
- What nutrients are found in a food product (fruit, veggies, grains, meat, etc.)
- What nutrients are good for the white blood cells, bone marrow, spleen, and other body systems
- How much (in grams or international units) of each food nutrient is required per day
- How fast a nutrient can take effect
- What food products are best combined with other food groups and which are not advisable to combine
- The effects of certain food products to pharmaceutical drugs/medicines one is taking in
- When to eat, how to eat, and how often should we eat certain foods
- And many more ….
- (we shall study more on these points in the succeeding series of this topic..)
In this first series, let me share just a brief intro to common health situations or conditions.
COMMON HEALTH SITUATIONS OR CONDITIONS
Here are some common situations where we can apply the foods, habits, activities and mindset in order to boost our immune system:
- Condition 1: You are that person who has not experienced any sign and symptom of a disease?
- Condition 2: You have experienced signs and symptoms of a disease / diseases but is not taking in medication drugs
- Condition 3: Your symptoms were diagnosed and you are on maintenance medication
- Condition 4: You are pregnant
- (we will add more as we delve deeper in this topic, in the succeeding series..)
Now, let us apply some foods and habits that boost the immune system of anybody in whatever health condition he or she is in.
1. Ginger (has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties, and many immune boosting actions)
2. Lemon (rich in vitamin-C which promotes good flow of blood through the arteries and veins, and many more)
These two food items can be eaten raw, or prepared into a delicious tea. You may prepare your ginger-lemon tea hot or iced cold. It is a delicious nutritious immune boosting drink that can be taken with or without sweetener. You may use mountain honey as your sweetener or small amount of sugar.
1. Listening to inspirational music
2. Gardening – tending flowers, growing backyard vegies, etc.
3. Proper breathing exercises
There are more to mention but in the next series…
WHO MAKES ALL THINGS POSSIBLE?
My friends, we have a lot to talk about on how to boost the immune system – on foods, exercises, habits,mindset, etc., but one thing is certain. Only He who created the earth and everything that is in it, can make all things happen.
Whatever we do on our own effort, without the blessing and grace of God, will not be effective. So whatever we do, whether we eat or drink, let us do it for the glory and honor of God.
May I invite you to my next blog, the 2nd series of this topic, as we will elaborate on the issues I mentioned, God willing, we shall talk a little about:
- SHOKU IKU
- Other nutritional facts
- Easy-to-follow exercises
- How stress-relieving music affect the immune system
As I cut this topic here, I pray God will bless everyone who reads this blog and the upcoming series. May He bless this website that everyone who visits, who reads this message may receive from the Lord God blessings beyond counting.
Thank you very much.